When deciding what’s needed to start your baby on solids, don’t feel you have to buy all the different products on the market. Here are some things to keep in mind to make sure you get what you actually need.
What’s Useful For Preparation & Storage:
- A steamer, to soften foods before pureeing or mashing. Steamers, although not essential, can help retain nutrients that can be lost during cooking
- A blender or mini food processor, to help make purees or finely chopped meals for your baby
- Sealed containers, for refrigerating and storing prepared food
- Ice cube trays, to freeze your homemade purees. This allows you to prepare foods in advance and can be simply popped out when you need them.
What You Need When Feeding Your Baby
- Plastic baby spoons. The ones with flexible handles and shallow heads are ideal for your baby’s little mouth
- Plastic bowls are handy for when little ones start to feed themselves
- A plastic ‘sippy’ cup for drinks. The ones with a lid and valve help keep the liquids from spilling out when it’s turned upside down
- Bibs. Cloth or plastic bibs can be used. Plastic ones may be more convenient as they can be wiped clean with soapy water between meals
- A high chair which allows your baby to sit upright, safely and comfortably. Look for one that has a comfortable seat and a strong harness that buckles. Some high chairs have a removable tray for easy cleaning and adjustable height functions that allow for your baby’s growth
- A plastic liner or muck mat to use around the base of the chair is a good idea to help keep your floor clean from any flying food
- Cloths to clean up any mess.